How to buy a domain - a guide to registering a domain name
Every site needs an easy-to-remember address. And to get one, you need to know how to buy a domain. Fortunately, domain registration is now very simple. This is one of the first steps to take when you create a website.
Below, we have described each step in detail, as well as shared some tricks on how to buy a domain without much effort.
Hint: You can also get a domain name along with a hosting plan for a year or more. This is a great way to collect all the necessary elements for publishing your site!
9 best tips before buying a domain name
Before you buy a domain, it makes sense to understand some points. After all, the name of your site is the first thing a user sees. Here are some tips to consider:
- Do your research. It's very important to research your niche and know what users want in general. Knowing the most popular keywords and search queries will allow you to find the domain name that best represents your project.
- Choose a name that is easy to remember. Don't look at names that are too long or difficult to pronounce. A short and clear domain will significantly increase the chances of your visitors remembering it.
- Be sure to check whether you can select the .com domain. Today .com holds a solid position as the most popular domain extension. This is a good choice as the extension is known to most users and will help increase the credibility of your site.
- Check whether you are violating the copyright of the trademark. To avoid legal difficulties, it is better not to register a domain similar to already well-known, promoted brands. You can use a variety of online tools to search for brand information and avoid similar situations.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens. Even though numbers and hyphens open up a lot more domain name options, sometimes they do more harm than good. For example, people may confuse the number (0) with the letter (o). In addition, if you are asked for the site address, it will be very difficult to pronounce the name with numbers and symbols, as well as to remember it.
- Look for close alternatives. If you already have a domain name on your mind, think about possible spelling mistakes to make sure that all possible traffic will go to you. A good example is amzon.com which will take you to the Amazon site, or fb.com, directly directing to Facebook.
- Explore social media. When you already have a rough draft of a domain name, search for those names on the most popular social networks such as Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook. Even if you don't plan on using social media for business just yet, reserving a page for your project will ensure that it isn't occupied by someone else.
- Think about the future. Websites and Domains are Long Term Investments. Therefore, a name based on something fleeting and quickly forgotten is not the best option. Don't be afraid to think wider!
- Discuss your ideas. If you feel like choosing the right name for your site is the hardest decision in your life, ask for help. Share your ideas with friends, family, colleagues. Who knows, they can give you something really important advice.
How to buy a domain
- Find a Domain Verification Tool;
- Enter your desired domain name and run a domain search;
- Choose the best option available;
- Complete domain registration.
Now that you know how to choose the right domain name, you might be wondering how to buy one. The process is actually pretty simple, so let's get started!
Step 1: Find a Domain Verification Tool
The path to buying a domain begins with checking for availability. By the way, there is a great domain checker tool at A2 Hosting.
Step 2. Run Domain Search
Now enter the desired domain name in the search bar and click "Search". The domain verification tool or domain checker will give you a list of available options that you can register.
Step 3. Choose the best available option
Once you have found your domain, click on the Add to Cart button.
If you no longer plan to look for other options, you can continue the checkout procedure.
Step 4. Complete domain registration
Here you will find a form to complete your domain registration.
Make sure to fill in all the fields correctly, as they will be saved in the official domain owner database called WHOIS.
After entering your data, the domain registration will be processed and you will only have to complete one final step.
Here you can select a payment method and complete the order.
Congratulations! Now you know how to buy a domain and complete the registration process.
In this guide, we have gone through the process of buying a domain name with A2 Hosting. It turned out to be not that difficult to buy a domain. The more challenging task is to think about and choose a good name and the right domain extension. We hope that our tips in this article will make this process easier for you!